Saturday 30 January 2016

Review: Invincible

Invincible Invincible by Alana Albertson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’ll be honest with you—I’m no hero. Sure, the media tries to brand every Navy SEAL as some kind of Batman dressed in cammies. There’s even a line in one of our cadences: Superman is the man of steel, he ain’t no match for Navy SEAL. You’ve seen the movies—we’re infallible, invaluable, invincible. But that night, the one you read about in the papers … all I really wanted to do was get laid.

One harmless fuck with an Aruban whore, no strings attached. I picked her out of a lineup—wild, dark hair, long legs and a crooked smile. After she sucked me off, I relaxed back onto the creaky, cum-stained cot, thankful for the blissful moments she gave me when I actually forgot for a second the faces of my buddies who died because I made the wrong call, the tears of the children I couldn’t save, and the eyes of the enemies I slaughtered during their last seconds of life.

But before I left, her hazel eyes peered into my soul. She whispered in a distinct Californian accent, “My name is Annie Hamilton. I’m an American citizen. I was kidnapped on spring break five years ago. You’re my last hope. Please save me.”

One desperate plea. This wasn’t a Hollywood blockbuster or a New York Times best-selling thriller. I knew this time there was no room for excuses, no margin for errors. I had one chance to put on the cape and be her hero..


REVIEW

I’m on 65 percent and I’m realizing there is no way this book will live up to its expectations…ever.

And now that I’m done with it, I can’t help but feel extremely disappointed over the whole book. The blurb f the book was what really pulled me to but this book, it was one of the best blurbs out there and

I guess everyone loves it still yet the story did not give me the satisfaction I wanted.
Simply put it was…what are the right words?...yes, not the right book for me.

The story is in the hero’s POV, who happens to be a SEAL. Now the author keeps reminding as of this throughout the story. It was frustrating. Yes he was SEAL, he lived by the SEAL’s code and yada yada, we got the picture, I just did not want to be reminded after every sentence that he was one. Let me tell you the word in itself was mentioned 77 times, yes I counted. 77 freaking times and that may be viewed as little if the book had was 500 pages long but the fact that the book is just 146 pages…woooh!!

Anyway, this SEAL guy named Patrick; visit this whorehouse in Curacao where he discovers this American girl who has been missing for over five years. Her name is Annie. He then makes it his duty to rescue the girl, with his friends without any other reinforcements. Brave and hero-like behavior but not properly thought through.

Now Annie is girl scared, you know you would be too if you were kidnapped and sold to become a prostitute the way she was.

With heroine pumping in her systems the guys are able to rescue her and bring her home…but what disappointed me here was the “unbelievability” of the whole scene. I just wanted more details from the author. I mean she could have described the days after the rescue where she was detoxing in a much more detailed length. And during this time maybe switched pov so we could see that she was getting the I-fell-in-love-with-my-rescuer syndrome.

Ayway let me just say and put it out there that this story was really promising and the author had a great mind set but failed to deliver to her fans, me especially!

And Annie’s father was just the major DICK I have ever seen or read about. I won’t even talk about him.
Her mother…mh

Their love story was hurried and not as detailed as it ought to be. Yes this is a 146 page novel, perhaps if the book were longer there'd be more time for character/plot development. For a minute there I thought the book would end in a cliffhanger and then boom, everything is set perfectly and they have a happily ever after.

Wow..

Anyway let me not give you readers out there such a negative view…remember this is just my opinion, so if you loved the blurb as I did, give the book a chance and read it. You might like, but for me it took a nose-dive!! A big one!!!

2 stars because I really liked the blurb.

Get your copy

0 comments:

Post a Comment